Library Instruction Request
Guidelines for Faculty and Instructors
The Library’s Role
To support learning and promote information literacy through instruction
in the location, evaluation, and effective use of information.
The Library can provide you and your students with:
• Library orientations providing an overview of Library resources and services.
• Specialized Library instruction geared to the specific requirements of your students.
Library instruction is most relevant and student learning increases when students are working on a course assignment (essay, research paper, etc.) and there is a “need to know”. The Library staff would be pleased to meet with you to discuss your assignment and what Library resources are available to support the assignment. The Library strongly discourages scavenger hunts.
Scheduling Library Instruction
Please make your request for Library instruction as early in the semester as possible in order to reserve your preferred dates. We will do our best to accommodate all requests; however, the schedule fills up quickly.
Important: The Library Staff spends considerable time preparing for your class. Please submit your request - with any relevant course assignments - at least 1 week in advance.
• Contact the Information Desk to book your session.
• Prior to Library session, provide the students and the Library with assignment(s).
• Faculty must be present during every Library session.
• Be on time for scheduled Library classes.
• Read assignment(s) before the Library class.
• Understand the expectations of assignment(s).
• Have chosen a topic, if applicable.
Manager of Reference and Information Services